Volunteers tidy up Beccles river bank ready for ferry launch
- Credit: Archant
Parts of the River Waveney have undergone a makeover in time for the new season of a popular Beccles tourist attraction.
The Big Dog Ferry will resume its service taking passengers on a picturesque journey along the water between the town's lido and The Locks Inn pub at Geldeston on Friday.
And over the weekend members of the crew and volunteers conspired against the bad weather to litter pick the area and clean up the banks ready for the boat trips to begin.
Yanny Mac, Big Dog Ferry skipper said: 'It was a slightly disappointing turn-out to help clean up the river, But it was a great delight to see the river wasn't as litter-strewn as we initially thought, and even better to see the thriving wildlife.
'Thankfully, the River Waveney has not suffered too much with prevailing winds and the rubbish that the jet-stream scatters. The odd few wine bottles and beer cans were retrieved.'
Colin Smith, landlord at The Locks Inn, provided trays of refreshments and sandwiches for the volunteers when they finished the work.
Trips along the three-mile stretch of water begin at 9am on Friday with a chance to enjoy the wildlife, before taking a break for a meal, drink or music at The Locks Inn.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 7 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 8 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 9 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 10 NCFC LIVE: Missed chance for City against 10-man Newcastle
Alternatively passengers can stay on for the trip back to the lido.
This year the Big Dog Ferry will be available for longer trips and pick-ups from destinations such as Beccles Quay will be available on request.
To book a trip or for more information call Mr Mac on 07532 072 761.
Have you organised a litter pick or a clean up of your area? Email firstname.lastname@example.org