Volunteer priest describes “shock” of New Year’s Honour
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A volunteer priest who has served a village for more than 15 years has described her surprise after being recognised in the New Year's Honours List.
Sue Nutt, 69, a non-stipendiary priest in Barnham, near Thetford, was awarded a British Empire Medal (BEM) in recognition for her work in the village since 1999.
She said the award was 'very unexpected'.
'It was quite a shock as I found out a lot of people have been conspiring to do this for the last 18 months.
'It's not really just for me though, it's for all the people in the village who volunteer,' she said.
You may also want to watch:
As well as her work at the village church, Rev Nutt was also recognised for her volunteering at St Nicholas Hospice, her support of family carers, her work at Ixworth Surgery, and as a governor at Barnham Primary School.
She said Barnham, where she has lived since 1976, had a strong community.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 10 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
'It's not very big and we haven't got a shop or a post office or a pub but we are very good at welcoming new people and getting people involved in things in the village.
'I've always felt that the church wasn't the building; it's the people out in the community,' she said.
Rev Nutt will be presented the BEM by the new Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk, Countess Euston. She will then attend a function at Buckingham Palace along with others who have been recognised in the New Year's Honours List.
She said she plans to continue her volunteering work.
Do you have a story for the EDP? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org