Villagers against plans to turn Red Hart pub at Three Holes into a house
Villagers and real ale campaigners are opposing plans to turn a former village pub in the Fens into a house.
Owner Elgoods brewery has applied to convert the Red Hart at Three Holes, near Outwell.
Some 76 villagers have signed a petition against the plan. Objectors are being backed by the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), which states in a leter to the council: 'We believe that a Public House is a vital local amenity, especially when other amenities such as local shops and post offices are under threat. 'It can also provide valuable local jobs and reduce the temptation to drink and drive. 'There are many examples of well-run and profitable pubs in the West Norfolk area and we feel that the Red Hart could join these if given the chance.'
The report to councillors says the brewery has also received a letter offering to buy the pub and keep it open.
But it adds that less than 500 people live in the village and few are within walking distance of the pub.
You may also want to watch:
It says as well as the lack of local trade, there is a dearth of attractions nearby.
It says: 'The business is currently not trading having shut its doors recently when, again, the licencse, who was occupying on a rent free basis, could not afford to continue operating and left.'
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 6 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 7 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 8 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
- 9 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 10 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns
West Norfolk councillors have been recommended to approve the application when they meet on Monday.
What do you think - vote in our poll.