Video: Norfolk singer Leon James charts alongside Beyonce and Eminem with charity song One in a Million Girl
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
A young singer whose charity single is storming up the official charts says it feels 'surreal' to see his name alongside Beyonce and Eminem.
Leon Mallett recorded One in a Million Girl to raise money for Cancer Research UK after his dad Andrew, a well known entertainer on the east coast, died in March, aged 55, following a long battle with cancer.
In his heyday Mr Mallett, who performed under the name Andy James, had been a popular fixture on Great Yarmouth's Britannia Pier.
It was while looking through his dad's vinyl collection that 19-year-old Leon, now following in his father's musical footsteps, came across an original song which made such an impression he decided to record and release it himself.
The pop reggae single was released on Monday and less than 24 hours later was on the edge of the Top 100 official chart.
It debuted at number one in iTunes' reggae chart and, as of this afternoon, had reached number 103 in the download chart.
You may also want to watch:
Leon, who performs as Leon James, said: 'It's really exciting. When I woke up on Monday morning I had a missed call and messages from a friend who told me I was top of the reggae chart. It's surreal when I'm looking through the chart and I see my name next to people like Beyonce and Eminem.'
The young performer said the song, along with the official video which he shot in Yarmouth, Sherringham and Lingwood, was given a boost on Sunday when it was shared by the Cancer Research Facebook page, which has more than one million likes.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 5 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 8 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 9 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 10 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
And now it is out, family friend Jeremy Metcalf is calling on music lovers to 'keep the momentum going' and help Leon's single reach the Top 40 before 4pm on Sunday so it can be played on BBC Radio One's Official Chart Show.
'I'm so proud of him; he's not doing this for self promotion,' said Mr Metcalf.
'He's raising money for a fantastic cause and he's doing it for his dad. Andy's up there with a big smile on his face, I'm sure.'
Leon, who lives in Lingwood, regularly sings in pubs, clubs and hotels and on Father's Day, performed a fundraising show at Halvergate where his dad grew up and raised more than £600 for Priscilla Bacon Lodge in Norwich where Mr Mallet was cared for.
One in a Million Girl can be downloaded via iTunes.