Vehicles stopped by police in Norfolk/Suffolk border operation by Beccles, Bungay and Ellingham
MORE than 50 vehicles were stopped and checked in a joint operation between police forces on the Norfolk and Suffolk border on Tuesday.
Norfolk and Suffolk Police forces united for Operation Identify, stopping 57 vehicles along the border between Beccles, Bungay and Ellingham.
The cars were stopped and searched after Automated Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology alerted officers to motorists who were suspected of crime, in particular metal related thefts, burglary and handling stolen property.
A range of offences were dealt with including fraudulent vehicle excise licence, possession of cannabis, driving with no valid MOT certificate and driving with no insurance.
Two vehicles were also seized as they were being used with no insurance, while Ryan Johnson, 22, of Harepark Close, Halesworth, was arrested and then later charged with intent to supply a controlled drug. He will be appearing before Great Yarmouth Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, June 26.
Sergeant Dave Freeman, of Norfolk Police, said: 'We hope that this operation has further demonstrated our commitment to using the latest technology and working jointly to tackle crime on Norfolk and Suffolk's roads, whilst also providing a visible reassuring presence to members of the public on our county's roads.'
- 1 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 2 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 3 Action taken against cold callers who left homeowner 'freaked out'
- 4 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 5 Pensioner jailed for five years for child sex assaults
- 6 Virus expert says Omicron is 'unstoppable' and backs 'Plan B' rules
- 7 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 8 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 9 Police called after illegally parked delivery driver blocks bus routes
- 10 Hospital reports 10 deaths of people with Covid in two days