Vegan baker delighted to secure deal at Norwich bookshop
It is a truly scrumptious start to the New Year for a Norwich vegan baker who has just started baking cakes for a city bookstore.
Kaleigh Read's Deerly Beloved Bakery, which she runs from her kitchen at her Turner Road home, has been going from strength to strength since she set up her business in May 2011, and her latest customer is Waterstones in Castle Meadow.
Now shoppers can enjoy tucking into a slice of Miss Read's tiramisu, chocolate hazelnut, or chocolate orange spice cakes when taking a break in the bookstore's Caf� W.
The 26-year-old, who makes all her cakes from her own recipes, said she was delighted to be baking vegan cakes for the Norwich shop. She added: 'Waterstones contacted me because they had been recommended my cakes by someone which was lovely, and what was really nice was that they said they wanted to sell them as 'normal' cakes as well as being vegan cakes because they thought they were delicious enough for everyone.'
She added: 'It is really, really great, really positive, for a small business that I started from nothing really to get into a retail chain, and especially for a vegan business too. It is really, really good.'
You may also want to watch:
She said she was pleased that it would also give vegans more options when out with friends and family in the city.
'Often when vegans go out with friends or family they end up only being able to have a drink while everyone else is eating cake because there is nothing available that they can eat, so it is great that Waterstones will be selling vegan cakes.'
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 7 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 8 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 9 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 10 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction
Miss Read also runs a vegan meet-up group at Caf� Bar Marzano, in the Forum, on the first Tuesday of every month. The next meeting is tomorrow, 6.30pm.
For more about Deerly Beloved Bakery visit www.deerlybelovedbakery.blogspot.co.uk