Updated: Train services continue to be disrupted on the Norwich to London line
- Credit: Archant © 2012
Train services are continuing to be disrupted on the Norwich to London line following a fatality on the line and signalling problems.
A man was struck by a train close to Cow Green, Bacton at 1.15pm and officers from British Transport Police (BTP) pronounced him dead at the scene.
The fatality led to buses replacing trains between Stowmarket, Diss and Norwich for more than four hours until the line was restored at 5pm.
Passengers travelling on the route between Norwich and London were also offered the alternative of travelling via Cambridge.
A BTP spokesman said the incident was not being treated as suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
This evening train operator Abellio Greater Anglia issued the following statement: 'Following a person hit by a train earlier near Diss, all lines were re-opened as from 3pm. However, the problem was further compounded by a tree branch obstructing the overhead power lines between Diss and Norwich. Network Rail engineers at the location of the obstruction re-opened that section of the line at 4:15pm.
'Network Rail engineers have also investigated a loss of signalling between Ipswich and Needham Market and have now restored the signalling to normal, as from 4:50pm.'
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 10 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
The statement said train services between Ipswich and Cambridge, Peterborough, Felixstowe, Norwich and Lowestoft are being affected, with delays, cancellations and short notice alterations possible.
For more information visit www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk