Update: Surprise as armed police arrest a man in Ormesby St Michael, near Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm following an incident in Ormesby St Michael, near Great Yarmouth.
Armed police and sniffer dogs were deployed to Main Road, Ormesby St Michael last night following reports of a man in possession of a firearm.
A spokesman in the police control room confirmed armed officers were deployed at about 5.30pm yesterday to the incident and said a person in a vehicle had been arrested and that inquiries into the incident were ongoing.
Joe Aldred, 15, who got pictures of the drama as it unfolded, said he thought all the police activity was because there had been a crash.
He said: 'At around 8pm, I heard some sirens, but I didn't think anything of them at the time.
You may also want to watch:
'I looked out of the window and there was a massive queue of traffic. At first I thought there had been an accident, so I went outside to see what was going on, and there was a flood of police cars at the bottom of the road.
Dad went down there to see what was going on; He came back and said that there were policemen with machine guns.'
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 8 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 9 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 10 Glamping site approval despite highway safety concerns
Joe's father Craig, 42, said it was a bit of a surprise to see armed police in the area. He said: 'I just thought someone had just been pulled over but when I went down there could see armed police.'