Update: Police put ‘gunfire’ noise in Hethersett down to fireworks
- Credit: IAN BURT
Police have put reports of gunfire in Hethersett down to 'cluster fireworks'.
The National Police Air Service helicopter joined Norfolk Police in a search of open farmland behind the village at around 1am this morning, after residents claimed to have heard gunfire and screaming.
At around 2.20am the helicopter was stood down with no persons found and searches this morning, which included armed officers and the police helicopter, did not locate any items relating to firearms.
However, investigations revealed a bonfire and fireworks which are believed to make a similar sound.
Sgt Zoe Hardman, Diss Police Station, said: 'We are grateful for everyone who has contacted us so far regarding this incident and ask if they have any further information to call us directly.
You may also want to watch:
'While it appears that on this particular occasion there may be an innocent explanation, it is not always the case and anything believed to involve firearms should always be reported to police.'
Those living in the village reported hearing a woman screaming and gunshots over a two-hour period - with one resident claiming to see a man chasing a woman around the field.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 9 'Pray for Paul today' - wife's plea as gallbladder op victim faces surgery
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact Diss Police Station on 101.