UPDATE: Investigators complete probe into Norwich factory fire
Fire investigators have completed their probe into a blaze which destroyed a long-standing Norwich business and believe it started in an area where cooking is carried out.
Experts from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service today finished examining the ruins of Broadland Hams on the Sweetbriar industrial estate in the north of the city.
Emotional staff watched helplessly yesterday as fierce flames and thick smoke consumed the factory in the north of the city right at the start of their Christmas rush.
Firefighters were still at the scene late into last night, having prevented any risk of the fire spreading to other buildings and have been returning regularly today to make sure there the scene is safe.
A spokeswoman for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said: 'The fire investigation was started this morning and has concluded.
You may also want to watch:
'Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service believe it started in a cooking process area.'
General manager Edward Porter, whose father John built the Burnett Road factory in 1986, last night vowed they would bounce back.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 You can run, Mr Hancock, but you can't hide
- 4 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 5 Cactus shop selling £95 plants opens in Norwich phone box
- 6 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 7 Farke on his contract situation at City
- 8 'More like March' - So when will we get the sunshine back?
- 9 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 10 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
He said: 'Nothing will be salvageable but we hope to quickly find other premises and machinery so we can supply our customers again in the very near future.'
He said it was a difficult time for his father who had established the company after first running two local butchers' shops.
Mr Porter added: 'Some of our 25 staff have been with us a long time. One woman joined when she was 16 and is now in her 40s.'
Workers returning from their lunch break raised the alarm at about 1.30pm yesterday after smelling smoke.
The first firefighters arrived at 1.50pm but the danger posed by the rapidly spreading blaze quickly thwarted attempts to fight it from inside using breathing apparatus.
Richard Herrell, group manager for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Services, said: 'The fire is very difficult to extinguish because the roof is constructed of sandwich panels of polystyrene, a highly combustible material associated with firefighters' deaths in the past.
'The first firefighters made highly commendable efforts to fight the blaze aggressively from inside but we had to pull them out because of the danger from the roof which had no sprinklers.'
He said their efforts were focused on stopping the fire spreading to the site's refrigeration plant, which contained explosive gases, and to neighbouring buildings. The fire was too difficult to put out and there would have to be a controlled burn-out.
Fire crews were due to return to the site today to check for any remaining hot-spots.
All the staff had been evacuated safely from the building. with only one person slightly affected by smoke inhalation.
Workplaces downwind were evacuated as plumes of thick black smoke became visible across the city, obscuring visibility on the nearby ring road at one stage.
Firefighters came from as far afield as Earlham, Sprowston, Carrow, Hethersett, Wroxham, Long Stratton, Wymondham, Aylsham, Attleborough and Great Yarmouth.
Eight fire engines were called, including an aerial ladder platform which was put into action to douse the burning roof from above.
One of the first eye-witnesses on the scene was former firefighter Jay Steward, from Acle, who had been in a nearby Burger King with his family.
He said: 'We followed the first fire engine here. The fire struck at the back of the building and spread. Firefighters started off inside but were later withdrawn, They have certainly lost the building.'
Arlene White, from the neighbouring Pentagon Control Systems building, said: 'We smelled the fire and then saw the fire engines arriving.
'We were quickly evacuated because of the danger of toxic smoke.'
Louise Hall, who works in an office block in Burnett Road, watched it through a window and described it 'getting worse and worse'.
'The whole side of the building seems to be on fire, and it's bellowing out flames,' she said.
By 6pm last night fire crews had contained the fire, ruling out the possibility of it spreading further than the ham factory.
Around six appliances remained at 8pm, as the burn-out continued, with relief crews being drafted in. Crews from Sprowston, Watton, Hethersett and Earlham were the last to leave the scene in the early hours of the morning, but fire crews returned over the course of today to make sure the fire was completely extinguished.
The factory, which had started gearing up for Christmas, produces ham, bacon, gammon and sausages for shops and catering outlets across East Anglia.