Update: Father speaks of lucky escape after carbon monoxide poisoning leak at Carlton Colville home
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A family of four from Carlton Colville have had a lucky escape after they were rushed to hospital following a carbon monoxide leak at their home.
The family – a 50-year-old man, his 40-year-old wife and two children, aged 17 and seven – were taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston for carbon monoxide poisoning after a boiler failed at Wharfedale in Carlton Colville, near Lowestoft, in the early hours of yesterday.
The family called an ambulance at about 2am after the seven-year-old boy passed out while he was in the toilet. His sister passed out as well. After being treated for carbon monoxide inhalation at the hospital the family returned home at about 7am.
The home's gas supply was isolated by the fire brigade with firefighters also ventilating the property, which did not have carbon monoxide detectors.
The 50-year-old man said his family has been feeling ill all week and he would now be getting carbon monoxide detectors for their home.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'Our little boy passed out when he went to the toilet with my wife. He was just unresponsive. Then our daughter came out of her bedroom and passed out as well.
'We called the ambulance and the operator said that it sounded like carbon monoxide poisoning and told us to open the doors and windows. We got the children to the front door and they started to recover. We had a lucky escape.'
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 3 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 4 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 5 'More like March' - So when will we get the sunshine back?
- 6 'Fantastic to have people back' - Tea room reopens on Broads
- 7 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 8 McDonald's hiring in Norfolk and plans new restaurants
- 9 Former Norwich City coach moves on again - after just three months
- 10 You can run, Mr Hancock, but you can't hide
Suffolk Fire and Rescue received reports of the leak at the property in Wharfedale shortly before 2am.
Two crews from the town arrived to find four people suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Firefighters isolated the gas supply and ventilated the property, returning to base by 2.30am.
A fire service spokesman said: 'This unfortunate incident shows just how vitally important it is for residents across Suffolk to be aware of the dangers posed by carbon monoxide.
'The gas is odourless and tasteless which means a leak can often go undetected to the human senses, however the effects of exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal.
'We urge all to protect themselves and their families against carbon monoxide poisoning by correctly maintaining gas, oil and solid fuel burning appliances, ensuring adequate ventilation and if appropriate installing a carbon monoxide detector alarm to prevent tragic accidents from occurring.'