Investigation underway following ‘unexplained death’ near Norwich city centre pub
- Credit: Archant
Police are investigating following the death of a man in Norwich city centre.
Officers were called to Old Post Office Court, near the Walnut Tree Shades pub, shortly after 5pm today to assist the ambulance service.
Police have cordoned off an alleyway opposite the pub where it is believed the body was found.
A member of the public, who did not want to be named, said a man turning his car around in the alley spotted the body.
He said a pub customer then went over to check the man's pulse.
'I think the driver called it in [to the emergency services],' the member of the public said.
'He looked like he had been there for some time, possibly all night.'
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 3 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 4 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 5 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 8 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 9 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 10 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
He said the body was found near to the steps of a fire escape.
A Norfolk police spokesman said officers are currently on scene investigating the incident.
The spokesman said the death is currently being treated as 'unexplained', but it is not thought to be suspicious.
Police are said to be reviewing CCTV footage from around the city centre as part of their enquiries.
The police spokesman said the ambulance service reported that the body had been found by a member of the public.