Una Crown - police renew appeal for help to catch Wisbech widow’s killer two years on
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating the brutal murder of Wisbech pensioner Una Crown are urging members of the public to come forward with information on the second anniversary of her death.
The plea comes two years after the 86-year-old's body was discovered in her bungalow in Magazine Lane on Sunday, January 13, 2013.
She had not been seen alive since Friday, January 11, but had spoken to a friend over the phone at about 5pm on the Saturday, the day before she was discovered by a relative.
A post-mortem examination revealed she died as a result of stab wounds to her neck and chest. Her body was then set on fire in an apparent attempt to disguise her injuries and destroy evidence.
A £10,000 reward from the independent charity Crimestoppers is still on offer for information which leads to the arrest and successful conviction of Mrs Crown's killer.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Chief Inspector Sharn Basra, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: 'It has been two years since this terrible crime happened and we still believe the answer to solving it lies within the local community.
'I'm asking people to really think about what they were doing in the days before and after Mrs Crown's death – did you see anything suspicious? Did someone you know come home smelling of smoke, acting strangely, or had clothing that was burnt or had blood on it?
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 6 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 7 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 GP warns surgery 'is at breaking point' due to village expansion
'Someone out there knows what happened in Magazine Lane that weekend and I'm asking them to do the right thing and call police or the charity Crimestoppers.
'Any information, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem, may hold the key to solving this tragic case, so I urge anyone with information to contact us. We are determined to get justice for Mrs Crown and her family.'
Anyone with information should call the Major Crime Unit on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800-555-111.
* A 44-year-old man from Wisbech was arrested on November 11 last year on suspicion of Mrs Crown's murder. He was released on police bail to return to Thorpe Wood Police Station in Peterborough tomorrow (Tuesday).
Three men have been arrested on suspicion of murdering Mrs Crown, previous to the latest arrest, however all were released with no further action.