Twinkle-toed youngsters aim for TV fame
A pair of twinkle-toed children from Norwich will be tripping the light fantastic in front of millions of TV viewers tonight.Courtney O'Connor and Toby Lee have been picked from hundreds of hopefuls to compete in ITV1's Baby Ballroom, the children's answer to BBC1's Strictly Come Dancing.
A pair of twinkle-toed children from Norwich will be tripping the light fantastic in front of millions of TV viewers tonight.
Courtney O'Connor and Toby Lee have been picked from hundreds of hopefuls to compete in ITV1's Baby Ballroom, the children's answer to BBC1's Strictly Come Dancing.
If their cha cha cha routine is successful, the 11-year-olds could go on to appear in the show's final the following weekend.
“Lots of the children who compete in these competitions take it very seriously but for Courtney and Toby this is just a bit of fun,” said Courtney's mother, Claire.
“They are good all-rounders but their favourite is Latin.”
The pair began dancing together five years ago when Courtney, from Catfield, near Stalham, joined the Ludham Dance Centre run by Toby's mother, Jenny.
- 1 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 2 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 3 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 4 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 5 A146 closed after three vehicles and motorcycle involved in crash
- 6 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 7 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 8 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 9 Great Yarmouth's model village Banksy sold at auction
- 10 Liz Truss told £500,000 flight was 'grotesque misuse of taxpayers' money'
“They both picked up their steps really quickly and now they are a really good team.”
In February, the couple won a gold medal for beginners' ballroom in the international competition, Irish Celtic Classic. Their success is a real family affair, with Toby's grandmother, Anne Lee, from Wroxham, creating most of their dazzling costumes.
Fourteen couples aged six to 11 will have taken part in Baby Ballroom over two Saturday night shows to compete for the title of Baby Ballroom Champion. The panel of judges, which includes Bonnie Langford and XFactor runner-up Raymond Quinn, score each dance and the audience can cast their vote in a phone-in to decide which couples go through to the final.
Baby Ballroom is on ITV1 tonight at 6.40pm.