Tributes pour in after it was announced west Norfolk councillor and former borough mayor Mike Tilbury has died
- Credit: Archant
Tributes poured in today after it was announced a former mayor and long-serving west Norfolk councillor has died.
Mike Tilbury, of Great Massingham, joined the council in 1973 - serving continuously ever since - and was borough mayor between 1992 and 1993.
The 80-year-old, who was a probation officer before he became a solicitor, was also a retained firefighter for many years.
Borough Council leader Nick Daubney said: 'One thing that really stood out about Mike was that he was all about the people he represented and his local community. He was one of the most conscientious councillors I have ever met.
'Mike was well liked and well respected. He was a straight talker and you knew that when he spoke it was because he had something important to say. He will be sorely missed.'
Mr Tilbury, an independent councillor for Valley Hill ward, was a former leader and deputy leader of the Labour group.
North-west Norfolk MP Sir Henry Bellingham said: 'I first met Mike when I was selected as the parliamentary candidate in 1981, and he had just been selected as the Labour candidate. He was an outstandingly honourable and decent opponent. His work in his ward always transcended party politics, and this built up a massive personal following. Indeed, there were large numbers of people who flocked to support Mike, whatever their own personal political views.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 3 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 4 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 5 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 6 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 7 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 8 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 9 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 10 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
'I always found working with him to be a great joy, and he will be a very difficult act to follow.'