Tributes paid to Norfolk school’s former deputy head
Tributes have been paid to Tony Bebb, former deputy head at Old Buckenham High School, who was known for his trilby, pipe and a 'twinkle in his eye.'
Mr Bebb died in hospital on December 13, aged 88, following a stroke. He worked at the school until his retirement in 1988.
Chrissie Smith, who taught with him at the beginning of her career, said: 'He was a right character. You could tell just by looking at him that he had a twinkle in his eye.'
She said past pupils constantly reminisced about Mr Bebb who taught at the school for 20 years during the days of head teacher John Wainwright and became known for the care and warmth he showed to pupils and staff alike.
She added: 'He could be scary for the little first years but his wicked sense of humour and kind hearted affection for the young people in his care brought out the best in his pupils. He will always be remembered for the care and warmth he showed to pupils and staff alike, with his trilby, pipe and a twinkle in his eye.'
You may also want to watch:
Away from the school, he was also known for his work on outside bodies including the education service, the Norfolk branch of the National Union of Teachers, chairing the regional council and as teacher representative on the county education committee.
There will be a service to celebrate his life on Thursday at 1.30pm at Earlham Crematorium.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 3 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 4 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 7 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 8 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
- 9 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 10 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut