Tributes paid to former South Norfolk Councillor Vera Alexander
Warm tributes have been paid to a popular and respected former South Norfolk Council councillor who has passed away at the age of 84.
Vera Alexander served as a councillor in the communities of Scole, Brockdish and Needham for 33 years and was recently appointed an Honorary Alderman of South Norfolk Council. She died peacefully at All Hallows Nursing Home on April 13.
Mrs Alexander served as a South Norfolk Council chairman on two occasions and on a range of different committees. She was a member of the planning committee for the whole of her service as a councillor and was instrumental in helping to secure a bypass for the villages of Scole, Needham and Brockdish.
John Fuller, South Norfolk Council leader, said: 'She was a wonderful character, and is a big loss to our community. I will always remember the way she put people right on the office of chairman. She insisted she was a chairman and not a chair, which she said had four legs, whereas she had two! Her over 30 years of selfless public service will always be remembered. We will miss her.'
South Norfolk Council Chairman Sue Thomson added: 'I and many other councillors will never forget Vera's kindness and concern. Nine years ago when I first entered the Council, her support and advice proved invaluable, and I think everyone here and in the community will miss her.'
You may also want to watch:
In the second year of being chairman, Mrs Alexander chose as her focus her attentions on young people. In that year, South Norfolk Council drove forward its support for young people setting up a panel of councillors to put young people and their issues high on its policy agendas. A 'chairman's cup' was launched to celebrate and encourage young people's achievement in sport.
Her husband Peter died recently and she leaves behind two children and five grandchildren.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
The funeral service for Mrs Alexander will take place at Billingford Church on Thursday, April 26 at 2.30pm. Family flowers only, but donations can be made in memory of Vera to the East Anglian Children's Hospice (EACH) and Billingford Church, care of Rosedale Funeral Home in Diss.