Travellers who parked at Wilko in Thetford served with notice
- Credit: Archant
A number of travellers who were parked in a car park in Thetford before moving to another site in the town have been given 24 hours to leave.
Reports came in on Monday night that more than 10 caravans had arrived at the Wilko car park, in Minstergate, even parking outside the shop's front doors.
On Tuesday afternoon it was reported that the caravans had moved to land opposite the petrol station Bury Road, next to St Barnabas Close.
A representative of Thetford Town Council has served 24 hours' notice to the travellers, with a presence from Norfolk Police, meaning the encampment has until 2pm on Wednesday to leave the site.
A spokesperson for Thetford Town Council said: 'They are not authorised to be there and we have taken immediate action. If they do not move we will look at taking legal action.'
You may also want to watch:
Spokespeople for Breckland Council and Norfolk Police said they had been made aware of the travellers.
Wilko has been approached for comment.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
- 5 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 6 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 7 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 8 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
- 9 Queen spends the night in hospital, Palace confirms
- 10 Orionids meteor shower to peak tonight