UK car of year winner is pure electric
- Credit: BMW
The electric BMW i3 has lifted the top prize at the first-ever UK Car of the Year awards and also won best supermini.
The awards, which include 11 categories and one overall prize, are voted for by 27 of the most respected motoring journalists in the UK.
In the vote, which featured the likes of the Porsche Cayman, Range Rover Sport, BMW 5 Series, Citroen C4 Grand Picasso and Audi A3, almost half of the 27-strong judging panel chose the i3.
John Challen, managing director of UK Car of the Year Awards and editor of ukcoty.co.uk, said: 'Alternative vehicles have made a big impression on UK car buyers in recent years, and the i3 takes things to the next level. It might be a new direction for BMW, but the i3 successfully retains the driving characteristics from BMW's more established models.'
Uwe Dreher, BMW UK marketing firector, said: 'For the BMW i3 to be voted as the first-ever UK Car of the Year is real testament to the years of research and development that have gone into making BMW's first electric production car. The BMW i3 has pushed the boundaries in every way from sustainable production, to its unique construction and revolutionary ownership proposition.'
You may also want to watch:
Car of the year runner-up was Ford's Fiesta ST, which won the best performance car category. Joint third place went to the Skoda Octavia Estate and Jaguar F-type, which topped the best estate and best open-top car categories respectively.
The full list of winners were:
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 3 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 6 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 9 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 10 Tributes to Norwich mum who died from breast cancer aged 47
Best supermini – BMW i3.
Best small hatch – Audi A3.
Best family car – Skoda Octavia.
Best executive car – BMW 5 Series.
Best luxury car – Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
Best estate – Skoda Octavia Estate.
Best multi-purpose vehicle – Citroën C4 Grand Picasso.
Best 4x4 – Range Rover Sport.
Best coupé – Porsche Cayman.
Best open-top car – Jaguar F-type.
Best performance car – Ford Fiesta ST.