Skoda Superb lives up to name as top towcar
- Credit: Alan Bond
The Škoda Superb Elegance Estate 2.0 TDI CR 170PS 4x4 DSG has been named Caravan Club Towcar of the Year 2014.
It also took top honours in its class in the 31st Caravan Club Towcar of the Year Competition with the judges suggesting it lived up to its name – simply superb!
For the first time in the competition's history, entry invitations were extended to all vehicles capable of towing a trailer over 500kg and on sale on October 1.
In the club's ongoing quest to provide caravanners with as much information about the vehicles as possible, each towcar's dynamic abilities and ergonomic qualities were assessed. Tests included a 30 to 60mph acceleration, high-speed towing, reversing, emergency braking, ride and handling as well as hill-stops and restarts. This year, for the first time, car roof loads were assessed, taking in the capacity to carry items such as bikes.
Held again at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire, the competition attracted 41 entrants. Vehicles were divided into seven price categories, and class wins in the competition went to the SsangYong Korando SE, Škoda Octavia hatch 1.2 TSI SE 105PS, Volkswagen Jetta Sport 2.0TDI DSG, Škoda Superb Elegance Estate 2.0 TDI CR 170PS 4x4 DSG, Jaguar XF 2.2D Luxury, Jaguar XF Sportbrake 3.0D Portfolio and Rover Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography.
You may also want to watch:
Judges agreed the overall winner Škoda Superb 'is as good as it gets' and 'you wouldn't know you were towing a caravan'.
All-wheel drive vehicles competed in two additional categories – under and over 1,800kg. First place in the lighter category went to the all-conquering Škoda, while the Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography won the heavier group.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 8 Do you recognise this man?
- 9 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 10 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
A special award recognised any entrant that particularly impressed the judges, and a vehicle that 'offered so much to so many for so little' caught their attention. The award went to a vehicle in the under £16,000 class, the Dacia Duster Ambiance 4x4, which 'provided good high-speed stability and stopping power, adequate hill-route performance and a hill stop and start that shamed many of the more expensive towcars'.