Rail disruption continues across region - three days after bird strike on train near Worstead
- Credit: Archant © 2008
A bird strike which put a north Norfolk train out of action three days ago is continuing to disrupt rail services across the region today - but Norfolk passengers look set to have escaped further headaches.
The latest list of cancellations, in Suffolk, follows a string on Saturday which affected services between Norwich and Sheringham, Yarmouth and Lowestoft.
They came in the wake of the dawn incident when the 5.40am Bittern Line Norwich to Sheringham train was brought to a halt near Worstead following a bird strike.
Geraint Hughes, spokesman for rail operator Abellio Greater Anglia, said the train's windscreen had been so badly damaged that the engine had been taken out of service straight away. The withdrawal created a critical shortage which has had a ricochet effect on services further afield.
Mr Hughes said there was an overall shortage of diesel trains and the latest setback had come at a time when another was out-of-service for repairs following a recent fatality in the Stowmarket area.
You may also want to watch:
Greater Anglia was carrying out two refurbishment programmes which meant individual trains were routinely out of use for periods of time.
'In broad terms we are five or six trains short of our full complement. Normally we have about three or four spare in any one day but these latest incidents mean that we are now right on the limit of availability,' he added.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
Alterations had been made to try and avoid disrupting heavily-used services. Among today's cancellations are the 7.44am Saxmundham to Lowestoft train. A bus was due to run instead. For the full list of changes visit: www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk
? What do you think? Write to: EDPLetters@archant.co.uk