My First Car: Van helped fuel car-buying bug
- Credit: Ronald Wood
Ronald Wood's first set of four wheels was a Ford Squire van, followed by a Mini Traveller. They put him on the road to a car-buying bug which sees him buying a different model almost every year.
My first car was a Ford Squire van but before that I had motorbikes.
I was doing my National Service in the Army and, needing something to get home on, I bought a BSA Bantam. By 1963-64 we had two little boys so I bought, for £10, a 600cc BSA motorbike and sidecar. The sidecar was made of matchwood and when I went round a roundabout too fast, my wife and boys were looking down on me as the sidecar was about three feet in the air.
I then decided four wheels were better than three so bought, for £20 and a Grundig tape recorder, the Ford Squire van. It had tiny windows in the back, and the wipers went fast or slow depending on the engine speed.
I took my first driving test, costing £1, in this battered old van. The examiner – a dapper little man with a clipped moustache – caught the sleeve of his smart blazer on a piece of metal on the door frame, when getting out of the passenger seat, resulted in a big L-shaped tear. I failed the test. However, I passed a few weeks later in a dual-control car.
You may also want to watch:
I got rid of the van and bought a red Mini Traveller with two doors at the back. Both front wings soon went rusty and I painted them with Valspar house paint.
Next was a Vauxhall 101, comfortable car, but one day the wiring loom caught fire. Next I had a Datsun Bluebird automatic. it was very reliable and I had it about a year.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
I then got the car-buying bug and over the next 45 years or so, bought a different car almost every year – Japanese, Italian, French, German, people-carriers, SUVs and estates – I liked them all.
Tell people about your first set of wheels – email your memories with a picture to email@example.com or post it to Andy Russell, Archant motoring editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE.