Mixed reaction to A47 Postwick roadwork ‘improvements’
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Changes intended to improve the flow of traffic while work is carried out on the A47 to the east of Norwich have received a mixed reaction from drivers.
Work to create what is known as the Postwick Hub – on the junction to the east of Norwich where the A47 meets Yarmouth Road – started earlier this month.
But, with a string of overnight closures on the road and an eastbound lane closed, drivers have been angered by lengthy tailbacks.
In response, Norfolk County Council made changes to improve the flow of traffic at peak hours. It included opening a carriageway for traffic taking the slip road towards Thorpe St Andrew, Broadland Business Park and Postwick Park & Ride, with 'get in lane' signs put up.
There was a mixed reaction from people on Twitter and Facebook to the changes. @thepinkypigster said: 'NO!! There's not enough get in lane signage!' But Rebecca Grimbly said: 'I went through the new layout this morning. It was an improvement, but could have done with warning signs a bit earlier.'
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday afternoon saw further problems after two accidents. A boy, aged nine, was taken to hospital following the first – a crash between a Citroen and a white van near the Postwick junction just after 2.30pm.
The second, between an HGV and Renault Megane, happened 15 minutes later at the junction between the A47 and the A146. Police said no-one was injured.
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 7 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 8 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
Traffic was diverted into the city on the A146, causing severe delays. The road re-opened at 3.45pm.