Disruption for Norwich drivers as 14 weeks of work on Newmarket Road starts today
- Credit: copyright ARCHANT 2017
Roadworks on one of the main roads leading in and out of Norwich will begin today as part of the latest shake-up to city traffic.
Parts of Newmarket Road - and a number of roads which lead off it - will be closed during work which begins today, and continues for 14 weeks until the middle of October.
Council chiefs say the £800,000 work - part of the wider Transport for Norwich scheme - will make it safer for cyclists to use the road and pedestrians to cross it.
A segregated one-way cycle lane will be put in place on the city-bound side of Newmarket Road, from near Christchurch Road to the Hanover Road link.
A 20mph limit will be put in place during the work and sections of the road heading into Norwich will remain closed.
You may also want to watch:
Council officers say the city-bound carriageway and bus lane will be closed in phased sections of approximately 200m, starting just past its junction with Christchurch Road and heading into Norwich.
And a rolling suspension will be in place on the bus lane heading out of Norwich between the junctions with Lime Tree Road and Town Close Road.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 6 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 7 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 8 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 9 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
There will also be a rolling suspension on the bus lane going into Norwich, between the junctions with Mount Pleasant and the Hanover Road link, near the Eagle Public House.
And a series of roads which lead off from Newmarket Road will also be shut.
Albermarle Road will be closed at its junction with Newmarket Road from Monday, July 17 until Tuesday, August 1, while Mount Pleasant will be shut at its junction with Newmarket Road from Monday, August 7 until Sunday, August 13.
Meanwhile, Town Close Road has been closed at its junction with Newmarket Road for the last week, and will remain so.
Footpaths along Newmarket Road itself will also have to be closed, as and when necessary, although diversions will be in place.
During the closures the alternative routes are:
• Town Close Road closure: Ipswich Road, St Stephens Roundabout and Newmarket Road.
• Albemarle Road closure: Mount Pleasant and Newmarket Road.
• Mount Pleasant closure: Albemarle Road and Newmarket Road.