Drivers face delays on A47 due to emergency roadworks
- Credit: DENISE BRADLEY/Archant2021
Drivers on the A47 in west Norfolk faced long delays this morning due to emergency roadworks.
Openreach is conducting works on the road between Necton and Swaffham, near the junction with North Pickenham Road.
The activity started yesterday, March 1, and is expected to end at about midnight tonight, March 2.
A spokesman for Openreach said: "We’re working on the A47 near Necton, in Norfolk, to replace a damaged manhole cover.
"Our engineers are there now and we hope to be finished later today. We’re sorry for the disruption caused, but the work is absolutely essential.
"We’re working as quickly as we can, and in a way that keeps our engineers as safe as possible."
Traffic was queuing on the road in both directions with delays of 12 minutes reported.
- 1 'London girl' transforms her Norfolk home into the ultimate retreat
- 2 Extra speed check camera vans to target Norfolk's 'village speeders'
- 3 Five-vehicle crash causes delays on A47
- 4 Holkham pub closes to drinkers to become hotel and restaurant
- 5 Country house with three flats, treehouse and pool up for sale
- 6 Norfolk woman dies after being stung by wasp in Spain
- 7 Council set to sell mobile home site
- 8 Former King's Lynn footballer jailed after admitting drugs offences
- 9 'Fierce' fire rips through two homes in west Norfolk village
- 10 Tributes to "highly-valued" technician who died at Norfolk DAF dealership
To the east, queues reached to Little Fransham, near the junction with Station Road.
Queues were less severe to the west, reaching Norwich Road to Swaffham.
Elsewhere in the county, drivers saw delays on other parts of the A47, particularly at Honingham and North Burlingham.
Traffic also built up at the roadworks on the A146 at Loddon where temporary signals are in place.
Drivers also faced delays at the A143 Beccles Road in St Olaves where there were reports of a crash.
In Norwich, congestion was growing on the roads around the closed Sweet Briar Road, including Drayton Road and Mile Cross Road.
Queues were also growing on the NDR at the Thorpe End roundabout where there is ongoing roadworks.
Yarmouth Road leading to Riverside in Norwich also saw heavy traffic.
For up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Norfolk traffic map.
Join our Norfolk Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Norfolk.