Changes to improve traffic flow on A47 after delay complaints
Changes to improve traffic flow on the eastbound A47 at Postwick, near Norwich, are being introduced after motorists complained that work on the junction was causing excessive delays.
Work started less than two weeks ago to create what is known as the Postwick Hub – the junction to the east of Norwich where the A47 meets Yarmouth Road. But drivers have since taken to social media sites to complain about the long delays it has been causing.
Traffic on the road has been monitored by Norfolk County Council and while the traffic management has operated satisfactorily during most of the day and evening, it said there have been longer queues and delays during the morning and evening peak periods.
Since work started, one lane of the eastbound A47 has been shut for a 1.5mile stretch at Postwick. This means that all traffic has to filter into a single lane, including traffic taking the slip road off the A47.
Under the new arrangements, both lanes will be open. However, the inside lane will only be used for traffic taking the slip road off the A47. All other Great Yarmouth-bound traffic will have to move into the outside lane, and the inside lane will be closed from the slip road.
You may also want to watch:
To make this change, the A47 will be closed overnight on Thursday, May 29, with the new layout in place by the following morning. David Harrison, Norfolk County Council's cabinet member for environment, transport, development and waste, said: 'We are sorry that the lane restrictions caused more problems than expected during morning and evening peaks.
'The original layout followed national design standards, but we have now got Highways Agency approval to a revised layout that we hope will help reduce delays. The change is being made as soon as possible.'
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 4 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 5 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 6 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 7 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 8 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 9 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 10 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
How do you feel about the changes? Write (giving your full contact details) to: The Letters Editor, EDP, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE, or email EDPletters@archant.co.uk