Car club gets ready to step up a gear
A pay-as-you-drive car club has announced expansion plans which will see a dozen more spots in Norwich where vehicles can be picked up.
The Norfolk Car Club was established in 2009 with two cars, but now has 13 in Norwich, three in Aylsham and two in Reepham, with its bosses aiming to make it into the first city-wide, not-for-profit, car club in the UK.
Membership has increased by 50pc to more than 250 members in the past 12 months, with its members able to collect Volkswagen cars and vans to drive on a pay-as-you-go basis.
The club, which is funded by Norfolk County Council and other partners, such as Norwich City Council and the Department of Energy and Climate Change, has recently launched three new locations in the city - at Trafford Road, Christchurch Road and Patteson Road.
And a dozen more locations are set to follow - Chapelfield East, City Road, Nelson Street, Surrey Street, County Hall, Northcote Road, Ella Road, Avenue Road, Gloucester Street, Greyfriars, Heigham Road and Riverside Heights.
You may also want to watch:
They will be added to the current locations of Marlborough Road and Patteson Road in the north of the city; King Street, St Benedicts Street, Colegate and Recorder Road in the city centre; Portland Street, York Street, Essex Street, Stafford Street, Park Lane and Christchurch Road in the Golden Triangle; and Trafford Road in the south of the city.
Car club member Hamish Cooper, who lives in the city centre, said: 'I've always lived in the centre so never needed a car.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 5 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 8 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
'When I changed jobs, I needed one and this is far more economical than owning one. I've been a Norfolk Car Club member for nearly two years and think the club is top notch.'
Further information about the car club can be found at www.norfolkcarclub.com