Audi A3 on top of world
- Credit: Audi
Audi's premium compact A3 is the 2014 world car of the year – the second overall title for Audi in the awards' 10-year history when the A6 was the first winner in 2005.
The third-generation A3, now officially confirmed as a world-beater, overcame the challenge from 23 other cars to win the top title. It was up against the BMW 4 Series and Mazda 3 in the final shortlist.
The A3 was voted as the winner by an international jury panel of 69 top‑level automotive journalists from 22 countries worldwide.
Rupert Stadler, chairman of the Audi AG board, said: 'The Audi A6 was the first ever winner of this award and we are delighted that the Audi A3 has repeated that achievement by being voted 2014 world car of the year.
'The Audi A3 showcases Audi's technical competence in all aspects of car-making, not least in the areas of lightweight technology, drivetrain, mobile infotainment and driver assistance systems. This major award win is an achievement that the whole company can celebrate.'
You may also want to watch:
The new A3 is available as a three-door hatchback, five-door Sportback, Cabriolet and Saloon. It is powered by a range of turbo TFSI petrol and TDI diesel engines. In autumn, the A3 Sportback e‑tron plug‑in hybrid, capable of up to 31 miles in all-electric mode, arrives.
The A3's win has maintained Audi's position as the manufacturer with the most world car of the year titles. In total it has won seven titles:
- 1 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 6 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 9 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 10 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
2005 – Audi A6 world car of the year.
2007 – Audi RS 4 world performance car, Audi TT world car design.
2008 – Audi R8 world performance car and world car design.
2010 – Audi R8 V10 world performance car.
2014 – Audi A3 world car of the year.
The BMW i3 was a double winner. It took world car design of the year, in a final three that also comprised the Mazda3 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class, and world green car, beating the gas-powered Audi A3 Sportback g-tron and the Volkswagen XL1.
Mercedes-Benz's S-Class won the new world luxury car title, ahead of the Bentley Flying Spur and Range Rover Sport.
The Porsche 911 GT3 was world performance car, beating the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and Ferrari 458 Speciale.