Abellio Greater Anglia apologises for three-hour train delay misery last night - as commuters continue to face problems this morning
- Credit: Archant
Rail bosses have apologised for disruption on the Norwich to London Liverpool Street line last night, which saw trains delayed by more than three hours - as passengers continue to face problems this morning.
The delays, which continued until 2am, came after overhead power problems caused a train to break down at Chelmsford.
This morning, frustrated commuters were still being affected by cancellations and delays.
The 6.24am Norwich to London Liverpool Street train was cancelled due to a train fault and services through Chelmsford are still subject to a 10-minute delay.
In a statement on its website Jamie Burles, managing director of Abellio Greater Anglia, said: 'I would like to apologise for the delays and cancellations that affected our Mainline services throughout the evening of Tuesday 17 June.
You may also want to watch:
'These were caused by an overhead power line problem between Chelmsford and Hatfield Peverel which resulted in a train failing, blocking one of the two lines.
'Whilst we aimed to provide alternative services wherever possible, the reduced line capacity did unfortunately result in lengthy delays for many customers.'
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 3 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 4 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 5 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 6 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 7 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 8 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 9 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 10 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
Police were called to London Liverpool Street after tempers boiled over, as passengers took to Twitter to complain about the delays.
In a series of tweets to the Eastern Daily Press, passenger Andy newman said: 'On a broken down train in Essex (1600 Ldn-Nch), line completely blocked, 'waiting for a tow'. No power, no aircon, total chaos.
'Unbelievable. We are now told we are going to be thrown off this train where it is, presumably so we can walk to Norwich.
'It seems we are going to be abandoned trackside. Time to strip @greateranglia of its franchise.'
Passenger Paul Royall said: 'Delayed for over 5hrs on the way home to Norwich last night, thanks @greateranglia. Tea urns and paper cups @ stations would cost nothing!'
Greater Anglia added that they will be holding an investigation into the incident and said that customers who chose not to travel may use their tickets today.
Were you affected by the problems? Tweet @EDP24