A47 closure begins – with 16.5 mile diversion around Norwich
- Credit: Chris Bishop
The A47 was fully closed in one direction last night – and will happen again until Friday morning – with drivers asked to follow a 16.5-mile diversion around Norwich.
Overnight closures are in force on the Norwich Southern Bypass from 8pm until 6am, every day until May 28.
The closures affect both lanes of the westbound carriageway between Postwick and Thickthorn.
The eastbound lanes are unaffected.
A suggested diversion route takes drivers along the Northern Distributor Road (NDR) before heading down to the Norwich ring road and around the city to re-join the A47 at Thickthorn.
A notice from Highways England said: "Westbound traffic will be diverted onto the A1270 and join Holt Road/Cromer Road after Norwich International airport.
"They will join Boundary Road (part of inner ring round anti clockwise) then joining the A11 at Mount Pleasant and re-join the A47 at Thickthorn."
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 5 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 6 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
The disruption is expected for four consecutive nights, lasting until 6am on Friday morning.
• For up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Norfolk traffic map.
Join our Norfolk Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest news on the county's roads.