Town councillors back new Wymondham Kings Head Meadow review
The search has resumed to find someone to lead an independent review into the proposed sale of a Wymondham recreational area for a supermarket development.
Civic leaders have backed a new motion after Conservative South Norfolk Councillor and solicitor Christopher Kemp pulled out of a review - because of a conflict of interest - into the way Wymondham Town Council handled plans to sell Kings Head Meadow to Asda.
The process of finding a new independent reviewer began on Wednesday night when four town councillors were asked to draw up a list of names and report back at the next meeting on July 3.
However, deputy mayor Diane Fernee said that whoever was chosen, the review would not be a 'witch hunt' and that the council was keen to draw a line under the matter.
As previously reported, Wymondham Town Councillors voted to sell Kings Head Meadow - the home of Wymondham Town Football Club - last year and chose Asda as the preferred developer. However, members withdrew their decision earlier this year following opposition from local residents and campaign group Wymondham Asks Why.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Fernee told the meeting that she could not give a time scale on when the review would be completed.
'I would like to have it done next week to get rid of this angst, but it has to be done properly. It is not a witch hunt. It has to be done in as clear and transparent way as possible,' she said.
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 5 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 6 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 7 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 8 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 9 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 10 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
Councillor Mike Gibbins suggested that new councillor Andy Gardiner, a former chairman of Wymondham Asks Why, should lead the review. However, Mr Gardiner rejected that request saying he was 'not capable' and wanted an independent inquiry investigating the town council, Wymondham Town Football Club, and Asda.
Councillors also voted for a motion for a complete review into the town council's standing orders following the completion of a review into the Kings Head Meadow saga.
It yesterday emerged that Dr Kemp had withdrawn from the review after he discovered that his sons had worked for one of the supermarkets bidding for the meadow site and still retained employee shares.