New cocktail bar with a twist opens in Norwich
- Credit: Danielle Booden
A new cocktail bar in Norwich is shaking up city nightlife with an interactive experience for customers.
Tipsy Jar opened on the corner of Redwell Street on November 19 and it has proved an instant hit.
It is a pandemic success story as the business began just 19 months ago in April 2020 as a cocktail delivery business.
It is run by couple Laura Whatling, 26, and Ellie Fennell, 25, who live in Sprowston, and Miss Whatling has years of experience working in hospitality.
Miss Whatling said: "We wanted to do something you couldn't get anywhere else and came up with the concept of cocktail jars.
"You add the ice that comes with it and put the lid on a shake then serve in two glasses and add the garnish.
"The business flew and last Christmas we were up from 5am until 11pm finishing orders."
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 5 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 6 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
- 7 Road rage incident sees van driver run over by car
- 8 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 9 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 10 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
Delivery was expanded nationwide, but since the new bar opened they have gone back to local ordering from NR1 to NR14 temporarily.
The couple, who recently got engaged, took on the premises in October this year after their property developer friend put them in touch with someone who was interested in buying the building.
They now rent the bottom two floors and it has been given an industrial makeover with leather seating, mango wood tables and even a fun word search on the wall.
The cocktail jars are brought to customers with ice already inside and they just need to shake and add the garnish.
Each jar serves two and costs £12 and you can also buy a single cocktail for £8, with beers and spirits available too.
Drinks on offer include a Sloe Gin Forest Bramble, Maple and Pecan Old Fashioned and classics such as Espresso and Pornstar Martinis.
Miss Whatling added: "We offer an interactive experience and it has really taken off - we have had queues out the door on Fridays and Saturdays."
Miss Fennell said: "It is fantastic and everyone is so lovely, we already have repeat customers.
"You walk past on a Saturday and you can hear everyone shaking, I find the noise so satisfying."
Tipsy Jar is open 3pm to 11pm Tuesday and Wednesday, 12pm to 11pm Thursday and 12pm until 12am Friday and Saturday.
Order for delivery at tipsyjar.co.uk