Threat to Beccles carnival parade after “lack of community spirit”
Organisers of Beccles Carnival have threatened to bring an end to the town's annual parade after this year's event recorded its lowest collection.
Co-organiser Yvette Marie Tackley labelled last weekend's parade as 'one of the worst', criticising the lack of community spirit that saw only �747 put in the collection buckets – a total lower than the insurance cost to run the event.
Now, the organising group of five say they will do one more parade next year, but if there is not an improvement they will not do it again, and choose to just have a fete instead.
Miss Tackley said: 'It was one of the worst carnival parades we have had in a long time due to lack of community spirit and people not lining the streets, plus the lack of money put into the buckets was the worst on record.'
Despite soaring temperatures, the weekend celebration was not as well supported as previous years.
You may also want to watch:
Fellow organiserAnnette Tackley said: 'People don't realise the hard work and planning that goes into putting on this event.
'It is very disheartening to get such a low bucket count when insurance for this event is, on its own, over �800, before we even book marching bands, majorettes and other running costs.'
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 5 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 6 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 7 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 8 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 9 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 10 Gypsy and travellers await planning appeal result
However, the groupthanked everyone who did support the event and said for those who attended it was a wonderful weekend.
Next year's carnival will take place on Saturday, August 17 and Sunday, August 18.
To be a part of the organising group or offer your help, call 01502 715671 or visit www.becclescarnival.co.uk