Inside the job of a prison officer — and how you could be one too
- Credit: HMP Wayland
A Norfolk prison is recruiting part-time staff — with one prison officer offering a glimpse into what she enjoys most about her job.
HMP Wayland, in Thetford, is looking for part-time prison officers who want flexibility as well as a chance to develop and grow while helping others change their lives.
Officer Garvin, who joined the service after working at her local supermarket for 20 years, said: “What I enjoy most about the role is seeing a difference in the prisoners.
“A lot of prisoners come in with nothing, and they leave with a trade, whether that is carpentry, plumbing or personal training, so that, when they are released, they can find a job and stay on the right path.”
Prison officers are responsible for supporting a small group of prisoners, encouraging them in training, education, substance recovery, and maintaining family ties.
You may also want to watch:
Qualifications for the role are not necessary, but they are looking for people who can demonstrate "good communication and influencing skills, commitment to quality, effective decision-making, care, and understanding."
Prison officers are meant to create a safe environment where prisoners can focus on rehabilitation.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 6 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 9 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 10 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
Applications close on October 28. The role is for 18.5 hours a week and offers a starting salary of £22,851 (pro rata) and a range of benefits.
Find out more at HM Prison and Probation Service.