Thetford parish poll to go ahead today
A poll to determine whether people support proposals to relocate Thetford's bus station from its current site on Bridge Street to one on Minstergate will go ahead today (Tuesday).
The scheme is part of wider regeneration plans which could see the town's Anchor site transformed with shops, cafes, a hotel and cinema, but there has been some objection in the town from those who feel moving the bus station to the Minstergate site is unsuitable.
The parish poll will go ahead under the 1972 Local Government Act which says parish councils in England can vote to request their district council to hold a referendum on any issue of concern to the local parish.
At least 10 people must be present at a meeting where a formal motion must be put forward and a vote taken.
This meeting was held in Thetford in July at which an overwhelming majority voted yes to holding the poll.
You may also want to watch:
People will now be asked to vote yes or no in response to the question: 'Do you want the bus station to move from its current site at the Anchor to the site on St Nicholas Street.'
Polling stations will be open from 4pm until 9pm. The results will be debated by Breckland Council.
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
Polling stations are:
• Thetford Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Station Road
• Church of the Nazarene, Anna Gurney Close
• Abbey Neighbourhood Centre, Exeter Way
• Carnegie Room, Cage Lane
• Church on the Way, Churchill Road
• Cloverfields Church and Community Hall, Yarrow Close
• Redcastle Furze Community Centre, St Martins Way
• St Mary's RC Church Hall, 73 Newtown
• Pine Close Community Centre, Pine Close.