Crews still on scene following large fire in forest area
- Credit: Forestry Commission Thetford Forest
Fire crews are still on scene following a large fire which has damaged an estimated 20,000 square metre area of Thetford Forest.
Crews from Norfolk and Suffolk Fire Rescue Services were called just after 4.45pm on Monday to the fire close to High Lodge, in an area known as Warren Wood.
At 8pm five crews were in attendance, including a water carrier from the US Air Force based at RAF Lakenheath.
As of 11am today (Tuesday) crews are still at the forest using backpack sprayers to dampen down the area.
A post on the Thetford Forest Facebook page said: 'Fire Crews are still damping down after the fire on FR16, opposite the High Lodge Exit. 'There has been an estimated 20,000 square metres of damage.
You may also want to watch:
'Can we remind you all that we are still on Very High Fire Danger, so please remain extra vigilant and aware of your actions that could affect the forest.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 9 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray