The secrets of a great sandwich are born and bread in Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
What makes a great Norfolk sandwich? That is what aspiring young chefs had to determine for a competition at a city hotel.
Four students from City College Norwich were tasked with creating the perfect Norfolk sandwich using only local ingredients.
They used everything from Cromer crab to Colman's Mustard to put together their individual dishes in the Masterchef-style challenge.
A panel of judges at the Maids Head Hotel then rated each sandwich, with the winner having their creation added to its menu next month. Judge Candi Robertson, from Candi's Chutney near Holt, said: 'It has all been a very good standard and it is what you would expect from city college.
'There is so much great produce within Norfolk and it is nice to see that at their age they have an understanding that regional produce is the best.'
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday's competition was put together by the hotel and the college to mark British Sandwich Week, which runs until May 14.
It involved first-year professional cookery and food and beverage service students, all aged 16 to 17.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 6 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 7 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 8 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 9 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
After choosing their ingredients they got to work at the hotel's kitchen under the watchful eye of tutor Florin Stoian.
Justin Gallant, 16, from Blofield, was eventually crowned the winner for his barbecue pulled pork and Norfolk Dapple sandwich.
From next month it will be included in the hotel's set menu.
Are you organising an unusual competition? Call Luke Powell on 01603 772684