Norfolk inn named one of the top 50 gastropubs for first time
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk pub has been included in the 2019 Top 50 GastroPubs for the first time.
The Duck inn in Stanhoe is a family-run business in north Norfolk which has been run since 2013 by chef/patron Ben Handley and his wife Sarah with Ben's brother Sam as manager.
The team has transformed the 18th century building into a true dining destination serving locally sourced, seasonal produce to create beautiful and unusual dishes.
Ben Handley said: 'This is huge news for Norfolk and another step forward for this county as one of the premier dining destination in Britain.'
The pub is also a finalist in The Observer Food Awards 2019 for Best Sunday Lunch, and was named as a Top 5 Foodie Hotspot by publisher, Condé Nast.
You may also want to watch:
The Estrella Damm Top 50 Gastropubs is presented by The Morning Advertiser and regarded as the industry's oscars.
Morning Advertiser editor Nicholas Robinson said: 'Getting on this list is the jewel in the crown for foodie pubs across the UK. It's the place to be seen.'
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Water outages hit homes across city
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 People released from car after crash closes road
- 7 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 8 'Heartless' fraudster stole from elderly hospital patients
- 9 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 10 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
Mrs Handley said they were honoured to have been chosen.
'This is an enormous credit to our staff, customers and suppliers who give us their best every day,' she added.
Manager Sam Handley said: 'To be recognised by your peers in the industry as well as many of our culinary heroes makes this award even more special.'
To celebrate, Elgood's Brewery, which owns the pub, has commissioned a special 'Top 50 Beer', which will be available on tap at the pub from next week.
An Elgood's spokesman said: 'This recognition is the result of six years of dedication by Ben and Sarah and their whole team to transform the Duck from a village pub into a relaxed but exceptional dining experience in the beautiful Norfolk countryside.'
The pub will discover its final placing in the Top 50 at an awards ceremony on January 28 at Lillibrooke Manor, Maidenhead, where chef Tom Kerridge will cook a special lunch. The awards are voted for by top foodies and hospitality experts and are now in their 10th year.