The Crown in Fakenham will reopen with a fresh new look
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The Crown in Fakenham will open again in the next couple of weeks under new management.
Alie Hannam, who was assistant manager when the historic former coaching inn opened last year, has signed the lease and is currently refurbishing the interior.
The 17th century town centre landmark opened last summer but mysteriously closed suddenly on January 1.
Ms Hannam, who also runs Sugar and Spice in Fakenham, said she could not comment on the circumstances surrounding the closure but was excited about the future and delighted with the support from local people and businesses.
'I have had no end of people turning up with paint brushes and local trades helping out,' she said.
You may also want to watch:
'It shows what fantastic community spirit we have here in Fakenham.
'I want it to look completely different to how it did before, with new carpets and decoration. Once that is done we will be able to open and I hope it will be within the next two weeks.'
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 6 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 7 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 8 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 9 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 10 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
Ms Hannam will open the bar and serve light lunches initially but is looking to open the restaurant in the function room later in the year.
'I had to give it a go,' she said. 'I want to give all the staff their jobs back and once we are established I will be looking for a new chef to get the restaurant open.'
Support has been pouring in for the business with comments on social media including: 'Really looking forward to it, as it is quite an old place, many people used to frequent, so can't wait. Wishing you heaps of luck,' and 'Such a nice old building in the centre of town. I do hope you manage to make ago of it. Fakenham needs to get some of the empty buildings occupied again.'
The Crown is offering four bottles of Prosecco for a group of friends to enjoy on the opening night in a draw on the Facebook page: The-CROWN-Fakenham.
There are also plans for a disco and band on the opening weekend.
* What do you think? Email firstname.lastname@example.org