The best fish n’ chips in Norfolk? Cromer chippie runners up in national award
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
A high frying north Norfolk fish and chip shop missed out being named national champion today.
No 1 Cromer, on New Street did not claim the title when the chips were dealt for the The 2016 National Fish & Chip Award organised by Seafish.
It was plaiced amongst the runners up at a ceremony in London hosted by food expert Nigel Barden.
The Scallop Shell in Bath, was announced the winner from the five shortlisted finalists in the Restaurant of the Year category.
The fish and chip shop, which has been open for more than three years, is run by businessman and chef Galton Blackiston.
The shortlisted restaurants were visited by an awards auditor who assessed both front and back of house operational aspects of the businesses.
Isle of Ely Produce managing director John Boutwood won an award for his outstanding contribution to the fish frying industry.
- 1 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 2 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 3 Dog and group cut off by tide saved after being spotted waist-high in water
- 4 Lowestoft's new beach huts hit the market at £30,000 each
- 5 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 6 'Tesla-like' robot hub set for Norfolk former RAF base
- 7 'Don't demonise us', say holiday let owners
- 8 Couple put 'TARDIS' home with 'amazing' sea views up for sale for £475k
- 9 Former City star's wife tells of player's devastating dementia battle
- 10 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
He started out the Littleport based business more than 40 years ago selling potatoes to the trade. Despite a horrific car crash confining him to a wheel chair he battled through over a year's treatment to restart the business.
Mr Boutwood and his son Oliver distribute over two million bags of potatoes to fish and chip shops across the UK and Ireland every year.
•Where are the best fish and chips you've had in Norfolk? Leave your comments below or tweet @EDP24