Teenage cyclist to take on coast to coast US challenge to raise funds for EACH
- Credit: Archant
A teenager with a passion for cycling is hoping to help a children's hospice reach its goal of raising £10m for a new home as he cycles from one side of America to the other.
George Broughton is taking on the 4,250 mile Coast2Coast challenge to help raise funds for East Anglia's Children's Hospices (EACH) nook appeal.
The challenge is to cycle from Seattle to Boston, covering 13 states over 64 days, starting on June 18.
The 19-year-old, a student at the University of Edinburgh, has been training by visiting all of EACH's hospices in Holt, Quidenham, Ipswich and Milton.
He said the challenge would be tough, and that a familial link had emerged.
You may also want to watch:
'When I was looking for a challenge I wanted more of a challenge than just Land's End to John O'Groats – hence why I looked into cycling a route further afield.
'My grandfather is Lord Fairhaven of Anglesey Abbey. He is the Great Grandson of Henry Rogers who helped build the town of Fairhaven in Massachusetts, which is where the family title originates from.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 5 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 6 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 7 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 8 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 9 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 10 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
'After the ride I will visit there for several days to look up my ancestry, which I'm really looking forward to and which my mother is organising for me,' he said.
Mr Broughton, from Bury St Edmunds, has been joined on training rides by his godmother, Emma Deterding, who is also an EACH patron.
She will join him for the last two stages of the trip, which include 1,000 miles of riding.
Are you fundraising? Email firstname.lastname@example.org