Teams sign up for boat race at Downham Market Water Festival
There has been a surge of interest from clubs, pubs, businesses and sports teams looking to put forward a team in this year's Downham Market Water Festival.
So far, five teams have signed up to take part in the Dragon Boat racing competition, which will take place close to the Hythe Bridge on the Relief Channel on August 14.
The event, now in its fifth year, is organised by a committee of volunteers and was sponsored last year by Downham Market Town Council, West Norfolk council and the EDP.
Abbie Panks, the town council's events co-ordinator, said the maximum number of team slots available will be 28, which will be sold on a first-come-first-served basis.
Teams can be made up of between six and 15 paddlers and a drummer and team entry costs �150.
Ms Panks said: 'With teams of 15 people plus a drummer, the cost equates to less than �10 per person which is not only incredible value for this kind of team building activity but also for a full day out.
'It is also a great way to raise money for charity through sponsorship.'
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 3 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 4 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 5 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 8 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 9 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 10 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in Norwich
Each team has three races from which to record their two best times and the top eight teams with the quickest times then battle out over the 100-metre course for a place in the final.
Last year more than 3,000 people enjoyed the sunshine and stalls as 18 teams battled to rule the waves.
For more information email email@example.com or call 01366 387770.