Team GB Olympic gold medalist to open new Norwich Aldi store
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
An Olympic gold medalist will open Norwich's newest Aldi store.
Scottish slalom canoeist Tim Baillie, who won gold in the London 2012 Olympics, will be the special guest at the launch of the store at Hall Road retail park on Thursday, May 11, at 8am.
Children from the Edith Cavell Academy school choir will provide entertainment for the supermarket customers.
The new 1,254sqm store is the fourth Aldi in Norwich and was given planning permission by Norwich City Council on December 2015, to the annoyance of its rivals.
It will create 40 new jobs and have 574 free car parking spaces.
You may also want to watch:
Aldi already has stores in Larkman Lane, Plumstead Road and Sprowston Road.
As well as the Hall Road store, another Aldi is planned for Drayton Road at the former Topps Tiles site.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 10 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
Aldi store manager, Stuart Calver, said: 'Aldi continues to invest significantly across Norwich.'