Team GB Olympic gold medalist to open new Norwich Aldi store
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
An Olympic gold medalist will open Norwich's newest Aldi store.
Scottish slalom canoeist Tim Baillie, who won gold in the London 2012 Olympics, will be the special guest at the launch of the store at Hall Road retail park on Thursday, May 11, at 8am.
Children from the Edith Cavell Academy school choir will provide entertainment for the supermarket customers.
The new 1,254sqm store is the fourth Aldi in Norwich and was given planning permission by Norwich City Council on December 2015, to the annoyance of its rivals.
It will create 40 new jobs and have 574 free car parking spaces.
You may also want to watch:
Aldi already has stores in Larkman Lane, Plumstead Road and Sprowston Road.
As well as the Hall Road store, another Aldi is planned for Drayton Road at the former Topps Tiles site.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
Aldi store manager, Stuart Calver, said: 'Aldi continues to invest significantly across Norwich.'