Vet issues warning to pet owners over food poisoning risks
- Credit: Archant
A vet has issued a further warning to dog walkers in Norwich after food was left in a popular dog spot.
Tom Robertson, 41, from Taverham Vets, said: 'Unfortunately dogs have a fantastic sense of smell meaning that whilst on their walks they can find all sorts of things that have been left around and often these are eaten before the owners have any chance to prevent it.
'We have had reports of grapes, raisins and nuts being for birds left on the ground by well meaning people along public footpaths and in the public parks.
'I'm sure this is well intended but these foods can potentially be toxic and even life threatening when eaten by a hungry dog.
'Raisins and grapes can contain a toxin that causes gastroenteritis and kidney failure. Mouldy nuts can cause tremors and seizures and Macademia nuts in particular have been associated with vomiting, weakness and lethargy.'
You may also want to watch:
As reported, food including nuts and raisins have been left on Marriotts Way in Taverham. It is believed it is being left for birds and other wildlife.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 5 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 6 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 7 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 8 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 9 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 10 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47