Takeaway bid for former dry cleaner’s in Dereham
- Credit: Archant
The owners of a former dry cleaner's in Dereham have applied for a change of use of the premises from retail to hot food takeaway.
Ms G Pervaz has applied to Breckland Council planners for the permission for the old Johnsons Dry Cleaners at 12 Market Place.
A planning statement with the application says that the premises has been vacant for about two years and marketed for letting by Brown & Co.
Agent Colin Smith cites the recent approval of the former Chambers on Market Place to restaurant use - it is set to become a Prezzo restaurant this year.
It was approved by the planning committee despite being recommended for refusal by officers as it put the ratio of retail to food use to 50 percent for the town. Council policy states this would be detrimental to the area.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Smith said: 'Members noted that Dereham is struggling to get new business into the town centre to attract a 'bright vibrant community', The retail/food ratio needs more flexibility in today's economic climate.
'Dereham has been recognised by the council as needing special consideration with the proposed business rate relief scheme.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
'New business needs to be encouraged at this time and an occupied shop encouraging people to visit the town is far better than just another empty shop.
'It would encourage night time economy and would be seen favourably by the majority of local people as it provides more variety and choice for the consumer.
'Bringing back into use a long standing vacant unit would enhance the look of the local street scene and increase the local economy.'
It is not if the owner has anyone in mind to run the takeaway or what type of food it would offer.
The change of use would offer the owner more options for potential tenants.
* What type of business would you like to see in 12 Market Place? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.