Take a look inside the new Lidl supermarket in Sprowston
- Credit: Archant
A new Lidl store has opened its doors on the outskirts of Norwich, two years after it was first proposed.
The 18,000sq ft shop is in Blue Boar Lane in Sprowston and includes 120 parking spaces and an in-store bakery.
The ribbon was cut by Falcon Junior School children and shoppers were queuing outside before the 8am opening.
Aimi Gotterson-Frost, deputy manager, said: 'I've been with Lidl for five years and previously I was in the store in Drayton Road which is quite different.
'It's along the same lines of a Lidl you've been to before with a fresh bakery and big fruit and vegetable section but new for this store we have self-service checkouts and previously in Drayton Road we didn't have any.
READ MORE: Everything you need to know ahead of Norwich Traditional Christmas Market'In the middle of Lidl we have opening offers for this weekend and Black Friday offers - the opening offers are exclusive to Lidl in Sprowston and the other deals are in all stores.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the supermarket being located 100m behind the 24-hour Tesco Extra, she thought the two would be able to exist together.
'I think with where we are it's rapidly expanding and you've got the housing estates behind all developing and I think we can live harmoniously.
- 1 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 4 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 5 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 8 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 9 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 10 The magic moment Cantwell helps young fan touch trophy
'The reaction so far has been really good and positive and people are very excited to have another option in Sprowston.'
The German chain first lodged a licencing application in 2016 and construction began in early 2018.
Earlier this year, Lidl opened a new store on Aylsham Road in Mile Cross, after closing a branch 400m away in Copenhagen Way.
It also recently opened a new £4.5m branch in the West Norfolk village of Heacham, while plans have also been approved for a new store in Common Lane North, Beccles.