Swift actions prevent major blaze

IAN CLARKE A woman has been praised for her quick thinking and for installing smoke alarms which saved her whole house being severely damaged by a major blaze.The house owner - who is in her 30s and from Back Lane, Mattishall, near Dereham - was alerted to the fire in her home at 6.

IAN CLARKE

A woman has been praised for her quick thinking and for installing smoke alarms which saved her whole house being severely damaged by a major blaze.

The house owner - who is in her 30s and from Back Lane, Mattishall, near Dereham - was alerted to the fire in her home at 6.15am today when smoke detectors started going off.

She quickly went downstairs and shut the kitchen door to stop the fire spreading and then got her two children, mother and her mother's boyfriend downstairs and to safety.

While the fire - believed to have started in a tumble dryer - caused extensive damage to the kitchen, Dereham Fire Station manager Mark Richardson said she had been “a hero” in stopping it spreading to the whole building.

“Everyone had been fast asleep and she did fantastically. She kept her head and by having smoke alarms and by shutting that door quickly that saved her house.

Most Read

“It highlights that smoke alarms do work and give you an early warning,” said Mr Richardson.