Norwich roundabout set to reopen on time
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The Dereham Road / Sweet Briar roundabout in Norwich is due to open on time late tonight (Friday), after it was closed for five days for resurfacing.
The closure caused major disruption in the city and at least 25 minutes were added to journeys towards Dereham Road, while queues in Earlham Green Lane and Larkman Lane were adding an extra 10-15 minutes.
But Norfolk County Council said today that workers were in the 'last stages of lining and tidying up' and 'the area is due to reopen late tonight as planned'.
They thanked those affected for their patience.
Work has included building the roundabout up to a new height and adjusting and replacing manhole covers to fit the surface.
You may also want to watch:
Mel Lacey, a retired police officer from Costessey, often visits a family member who lives on Dereham Road.
He said: 'There's no sense to it. To get there you have to go through a very large housing estate where children are on holiday - sending hundreds of cars through is an absolutely unnecessary road safety risk. I would like the bosses to explain why they took that position.'
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 10 Residents' anger at Deliveroo motorcycle drivers using pavement shortcut
Carole Jacques, head of Earlham Early Years Centre, said: 'We haven't seen a massive difference. A couple of people said they would give it a miss today but when I was out there it was being managed beautifully.'