Swaffham stages its first evening market
A continental feel took over the centre of Swaffham on Friday evening as the town staged its first evening street market.
Traders from the usual Friday, Saturday and Sunday markets mixed with local traders and a relaxed atmosphere was created on the warm evening in the heart of the town.
The Macarnos provided entertainment under the Buttercross and there was also a play bus and bouncy castle to keep the children entertained.
Town clek Richard Bishop said: 'It went really well with a good turn out of traders and public. The only downside was the traffic congestion caused by the road closure, this needs to be improved upon next time around.
'The positives far outweighed the negatives, though and it was something different for Swaffham.'
You may also want to watch:
He said the idea came from the market committee led by chairman Sheila Lister, who was at the forefront driving the idea forward.
'The aim is to try to get people to stop for longer in the town, or just to stop and give us a look.'
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 6 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 7 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 GP warns surgery 'is at breaking point' due to village expansion
Mayor Terry Jennison was present throughout the evening.
The next evening market is planned for September 14. Bookings to Debbie Brown at the town hall.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 01760 722922.