Swaffham roads to be resurfaced
- Credit: Archant
Motorists are being warned of roadworks which are set to bring disruption to a town centre.
Delays are expected when five days of repair work on Swaffham's Market Place and London street get under way on Monday, July 1.
The £95,000 works will see the Market Place and an adjacent stretch of London Street, from the junction with Mangate Street to the London Street pedestrian crossing, resurfaced.
During the first phase of the work, London Street will be repaired, with traffic being diverted round the west and north sides of the Market Place.
That part of the project is expected to last for up to three days, before engineers start repairing the surface of Market Place from its junction with Cley Road to the pedestrian crossing.
You may also want to watch:
It is hoped the work will be completed by Thursday, July 4.
Contractors then plan to spend the last day, Friday, July 5, laying new road markings.
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 3 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 4 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 5 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 6 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 7 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 8 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 9 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 10 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
A Norfolk County Council spokesman said: 'Access to properties, businesses and car parks within the limits of the works will be maintained, although it is inevitable that there will be some disruption.
'The county council apologises for any inconvenience this may cause.'
During the works, drivers will only be able to access the main Market Place car park from the western side of the square.
Meanwhile, the parking area in front of the Greyhound pub will only be accessible from Pit Lane.
Nicky George, landlord at the Greyhound, said: 'It's going to be mayhem, especially in July - all that traffic from the coast.
'It will put people off coming to the town. There are always queues through Swaffham at weekends and between 4pm and 5pm as it is. This will make it worse.'